It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 22:52

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Writing Your Own Jokes Made Easy
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 19:01 
Alumni

Bootcamp Graduate: YES (BC: June 2011 in Los Angeles)
If you’re only using jokes and text templates you find on here, or from ABC’s Curriculum, then this thread is especially for you. If your conversations run short, lose the liveliness and you’re oftentimes unsure what to say next, I sincerely encourage you to do everything this thread suggests.

I’ve gotten credit on here multiple times so far for suggesting a few jokes for text game and stuff, but I obviously won’t be there for you during your dates. So this post will lay out the same writing structure I use for my standup comedy material.

Use it. Learn your style. Work out your humor muscles.

Contrary to common rumors, nobody (including professional comedians) is a “natural” at humor. You don’t pop out of your Mom’s vagina cracking jokes. That’s a myth created by those who doubt themselves and neglect practicing. Supposed naturals simply practice more often and take note of what’s funny, adjusting their style accordingly.

Every comedian is a writer. Material is written, tested, rewritten and tested again….not thought up on the spot. And if that’s how professionals, who are paid to perform, come up with their jokes, you should do the same.

Once you find yourself thinking of funny perspectives regarding random things you observe every day, you’ll know you’ve sculpted your frame of mind to include humor regularly.

So here we go…

The key to a good joke is to surprise the audience by mentioning a relatable topic, and then giving them an unexpected perspective on it. The key is surprise. Say something that isn't the first, second or third obvious thing you think of from that topic.

SET UP - the first part of a joke
ASSUMPTIONS - assumptions you make about the setup
CONNECTOR - how the assump. pertains to setup
REINTERPRETATION - assump. taken out of context/flipped/changed
2ND STORY - justification of the assumption
PUNCH LINE - summary of the 2nd story

1. Set Up
This is a simple statement. It’s one that can be taken out of context. Inserting words or phrases that have multiple meanings (literal vs. slang, multiple literal definitions, etc.) is helpful.

Example: “I feel weird kissing on first dates”

2. Assumptions
List all of the assumptions you make about the set up and then choose one. The one you choose shouldn’t be too obvious (the first thing anyone thinks of) and it shouldn’t be too complex (where you have to explain the meaning of your joke).

Example:
1. “on” means during, instead of physically on my date’s body
2. it’s a normal date, mutually agreed upon (no kidnapping)
3. they’re conscious
4. they’re human
5. they’re female
6. I’m kissing my date, not someone else

I chose Assumption # 6

3. Connector
How is the Assumption you chose related to the Set Up?

Example:
Assumption # 6 talks about who I’m kissing. That’s the connector to the Set Up – Who I’m Kissing

4. Reinterpretation
How can you change the Assumption and take it out of context without changing the Connector?

Example:
Now I take the chosen Assumption and flip it upside down. So the Reinterpretation will be: I’m kissing someone else in front of my date

5. 2nd Story
This is a summary that justifies the reinterpretation. It also lists the point(s) the Punch Line must communicate.

Example:
This is just a synopsis of the Reinterpretation. In this case it would be: I am kissing another woman in front of my date and can tell that she is mad but I’m not bothered by it.

6. Punch Line
Summarize the 2nd Story using minimal and creative words. Less is more.

Example:
I summarize the 2nd Story and get this: “But I always tell her ‘You can join us’”

FINAL JOKE
SETUP: I feel weird kissing on first dates
PUNCH: But I always tell her “You can join us”

-----
Other tips

1. Try to end conversations/chats/texting on a laugh. Comedians do this on stage, hoping to exit with the audience laughing. If you do the same with women, they’ll love your humor simply because you know when to end the talk.

2. Watch stand up comedians regularly. You may hear a joke you like and YES, it’s okay to use that joke when talking to women. Who cares if you didn’t make it up? Did you make up the ABC’s curriculum you’re following on this forum? Didn’t think so.

3. Write a dozen jokes a week. Carry a notepad/smart phone and jot down ideas.

4. Practice cracking jokes with friends and family. Their reactions will tell you what’s funny and what isn’t. And if they don’t laugh, it might just be that their humor is totally different than yours. You don’t tell Knock Knock jokes to someone who watches Comedians like Daniel Tosh, because they enjoy shock value jokes and vulgarity. Similarly, you don’t use toilet humor around someone who is hyper-conservative.

4a. Learn your listener’s taste. Ask a girl what comedy films are her favorite and she’ll give you the map to her laughter. Austin Powers = characters and voices. Sienfield = observational comedy. Jackass & American Pie Trilogy = Blue/Vulgar material.

5. Recommended Reading: STEP BY STEP TO STANDUP COMEDY by G. Dean
http://www.amazon.com/Step-Stand-Up-Comedy-Greg-Dean/dp/0325001790/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310513503&sr=8-1

6. Take an Improv class. Alumni Member WhoIsApollo just started taking one. I’ve done about 4-5 years of it and it makes a huge difference. Even if you have no desire to be a performer, Improv still makes you mentally versatile and capable of reacting quickly with ease whenever the unexpected takes place. This will help you all throughout life, not just with dating.

-----
HOW CAN I APPLY THIS TO SARGING?

1. Use any comment/text/email/gesture/IM/etc. she makes/sends as a Set Up and take it out of context. This will require quick improv skills and creative thinking.

Example:
Her: “I just had the coolest dream last night”
You: “Didn’t know you thought of me that much”

Example:
Her: [holds out hand for you to give her something]
You: “Wrong side silly” [turn hand over and kiss it]

Example:
Her: “What’s your phone number?”
You: “1-900-MAN-MEAT”

Example:
Her: “I have a boyfriend”
You: “Don’t worry, I know how to handle these problems. You just buy a pregnancy test kit and set it in plain site. The BF infestation should disappear in 24 hours or less!”

2. Write canned Bait Texts as Set Ups, and have the Punch Line ready for when she replies. Or just send the whole thing as a text that doesn’t require a response (aka Freefloating text)

Example:
You: “Do you believe in accepting people for who they are?”
Her: “Of course”
You: “Good, because I just had surgery” [attach pic of transvestite]

Example:
You: “I hope you accept people for who they are because I just had surgery” [attach pic of transvestite]

3. Memorize jokes by others, and by you, and implement them at the right time during conversations. You’ll find this makes a huge difference when you’re in phases B-C, or defusing anyone who may cock block you (AMOG, AFOG, Mom/Dad, etc.)

4. Write Canned Openers that make people laugh

Example:
You: “Which is more polite when a midget asks you for directions, kneeling or standing?”
Her:_________________
You: “I ask because a friend and I were approached earlier and he knelt while I stood. Then I knelt and he stood up. So we really made it awkward”

Example:
You: “Quick question, do you give good advice?”
Her: “Yes”
You: “Good, because I have these as gifts for my Grandma’s birthday [hold up Cucumber and KY Jelly] so far and needed a woman’s perspective”

Good luck fellas and if you have any jokes you want feedback on, just post them on this thread. I’ll happily critique them. Also, be sure to post any jokes/texts/canned openers etc. that you’ve used and found to be effective.

WRITING YOUR OWN JOKES MADE EASY

LR #1 (penis puppet story)

THE JESTER'S BLOG

Post subject: Re: Writing Your Own Jokes Made Easy
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 02:19 
Koi Fish

Whoa. Holy fuck. This is awesome!!! I'm no good at writig jokes but...you really broke it down, step by step!

Who can't benefit from this?!

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 02:46 
Alumni

Quote:
I'm no good at writing jokes

Try it. You'd be surprised how fast you catch on.

THE JESTER'S BLOG

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 08:28 
Alumni

Bootcamp Graduate: BCSydneyNov2011
The_Jester wrote:
Quote:
I'm no good at writing jokes

Try it. You'd be surprised how fast you catch on.

*Cuts and Pastes* I can now open an improv class of my own. =D

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 15:48 
Alumni

Quote:
*Cuts and Pastes* I can now open an improv class of my own. =D

Copyright infringement means you'll have to be my complimentary Urologist for any and all issues disclosed in FR's & LR's. :lol:

THE JESTER'S BLOG

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2011, 00:12 
Koi Fish

Bootcamp Graduate: Yes
Awesome insight, Jester! Telling a good joke or "being funny" is just like any other skill. Needs to be tested and retested out in the field to get good. Thanks for laying out the structure.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2011, 19:29 
Alumni

Bootcamp Graduate: BCSydneyNov2011
The_Jester wrote:
Copyright infringement means you'll have to be my complimentary Urologist for any and all issues disclosed in FR's & LR's. :lol:

Oh, you'd just love for me to touch your dick wouldn't you? Are you sure you're into hot girls and not into sexy young, Asian male medical students? I hope not, cuz I'm into hot cunts, not dicks. :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2011, 21:27 
Alumni

Quote:
Oh, you'd just love for me to touch your dick wouldn't you? Are you sure you're into hot girls and not into sexy young, Asian male medical students? I hope not, cuz I'm into hot cunts, not dicks.

LOL. I'm anxious to read your field report where you tested this direct opener. It's the most incredible one I've ever heard.

THE JESTER'S BLOG

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2011, 20:06 
Alumni

An older thread posted about Developing A Sense of Humor: http://www.abcsofattraction.com/community/the-war-room-f34/develop-sense-of-humor-t2160.html

THE JESTER'S BLOG

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]