It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 20:21

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Storytelling Tips
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2011, 19:38 
Alumni

Bootcamp Graduate: YES (BC: June 2011 in Los Angeles)
Votcho and I agreed to start this thread and continue feeding it as we research storytelling methods. If you contribute, just be sure to list your source at the bottom of your post.

----------

J.T. told a very interesting story during bootcamp about a girlfriend he had during college accidentally pocket dialing him during a final exam crucial to the passing grade he needed for that class. He heard screaming on the other end and panicked. To sum it up, he was forced to choose between responding to his girlfriend’s safety being jeopardized or his passing grade in a class. He chose the former over the ladder. Fortunately, she was okay and it was a false alarm, but now he had to deal with the ramifications related to his education.

I thought about this story because it’s not that complicated when you think about the structure. You have a conflict, which presents Choice A and Choice B. Choice A is a selfless act of kindness for the benefit of someone close to you, and Choice B is a Consequence you must face for putting that person’s needs before your own. Then you put the cherry on the sundae by giving it a reasonably happy ending, or moral of the story that emphasizes a positive trait of you, like in the story example: compassion. Very good DHV.

Your general message is this: “I had Choices A & B. I chose A, and as a result B occurred (or didn’t occur). I knew of B in advance but chose A because I value those in my life more than personal gain.

So for those who have trouble with story telling, try this:

Draw a vertical line down the center of a piece of paper. On one side list possible acts of kindness. On the other list possible consequences. Make the descriptions short. Now mix & match and see if they still sound feasible. If they do, then you now have a canned story index to fall back on when you need DHV.

Here’s a tip: Make sure, out of the two choices, the Consequence/Act for Personal benefit is big enough to be taken seriously. For example, if you put “Might forget to make sandwich for lunch”, it doesn’t really demonstrate that you made a huge sacrifice for the sake of someone else.

However, you do have some flexibility with the Act of Kindness. It can be slightly less serious. For example, you could say you promised to read a young relative a bedtime story on their birthday. That’s not a huge deal, but if you sacrificed receiving a nice BMW company car and promotion to ensure that it happened, it’s a DHV.

Examples:
Paying late bills to keep utilities on vs. Helping a friend move

Making it to work early for promotion vs. Attending young siblings graduation

Making doctor appt. for test results vs. Reading kid bedtime story on birthday

Staying in class for final exam vs. Rushing to someone’s house for emergency

This will be easy if your stories are true. If they’re made up, then you’ll get extra practice telling canned stories with emphasis and tonality.

-----------

SOURCE: J.T. Tran during class lecture portion of bootcamp and my interpretation of it.

WRITING YOUR OWN JOKES MADE EASY

LR #1 (penis puppet story)

THE JESTER'S BLOG

Post subject: Re: Storytelling Tips
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2011, 23:15 
Koi Fish

Bootcamp Graduate: YES. Los Angeles June 2011
I really like that story by JT and I'm definitely gonna have to come up with a similar one of my own. anyways here's one i just came up with. Let me know how i can improve upon it.

STORY NAME: FIRST KISS!
ATTRACTION SWITCH: PRE SELECTION
KEYWORD LINKS:
1) First Times
2) Kisses
3) First lover
4) Exciting moments
TRANSITION /LEAD IN:
1) Do you remember your first kiss?
2) I remember my first girlfriend, I had my first kiss with her.
STORY: A long time ago back in my early high school days I was alone with a girl in her bedroom. She was a really, really good friend of mine and we always hung out. I have always thought she was way cute. She was a tall, blonde haired white girl with a great thin toned body AND she was a dancer, but I never made a move on her till that day. For some reason we were very flirty with each other that day and I could tell we were both totally feeling each other. At this moment I realized I really wanted to kiss her! However, I’ve never kissed a girl before so I didn’t actually know what to do! Since I was too nervous to kiss her myself, I came up with a plan to get her to kiss me! I noticed she had a bag full of strawberry flavored candy and she had been eating them all night cuz apparently she had a sweet tooth for them. So I took a piece and popped it into my mouth. I told her if she wanted another one she can have the one in my mouth! Then all of a sudden, she jumped on me and started sucking my face! Like literally eating my face haha! It lasted like 20 min straight with no break and it was the sloppiest kiss ever but we both loved it and it tasted like strawberry candy!:) That was my first kiss and she became my first girlfriend.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 00:21 
Koi Fish

Hey guys,

I think it's good to know the effect you are trying to create/influence in people. So when I was actually on the receiving end of a DHV story, and recognized the "Shift" within me, as far as how I viewed a particular person, it helped me to understand the power, and purpose.

I was having a normal conversation with someone, and they told me how they valued their mother, how they purchased their mother a car that the mother wanted her whole life and how they were supporting friends through high school...anyhow, it wasn't so much the story telling, it was more just the fact that WHO THIS PERSON was, and what they represented was delivered. I recognized the SHIFT within ME, when I saw this person in a different light, a more accurate light, and "RESPECT" for this person started to grow within me.

So take your core values, aspects of your personality, and focus on DELIVERING that to the other person.

I'm pretty sure JT or the coaches can elaborate more on this, but in terms of methods of story telling, hand movements, tonality, rich/vivid words...even those physical techniques end up being just another thing that DELIVERS Who you are to the other person.

So remember the last time a story painted a picture of someone in an attractive light and the effect it had on you...
and that's what you're trying to do to others.

neolife

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 00:22 
Alumni

Bootcamp Graduate: YES (BC: San Francisco, CA July 2010)
Make sure you also make really short point form versions of the stories as well. If you ever try one of these in the field --- you will find many people don't have the patience to listen to the whole thing and you WILL get BOTH INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL interrupts.

For example -- if Votcho tried his story in the field --- it would more likely go something like this:

PUA: A long time ago back in my early high school days I was alone with a girl in her bedroom. She was a really, really good friend of mine and we always hung out.

HB: I remember my high school -- I hated it.

PUA (Trying to get back on track): Anyways --- I have always thought she was way cute. She was a tall, blonde haired white girl with a great thin toned body AND she was a dancer,

HB: Really? What kind of dance -- I like folk dancing...my parents used to ...

PUA (stuggling to get back to story): uhm, er, uh .. probably like your parents --- I never made a move on her till that day. For some reason we were very flirty with each other that day and I could tell we were both totally feeling each other. At this moment I realized I really wanted to kiss her! However, I’ve never kissed a girl before so I didn’t actually know what to do! Since I was too nervous to kiss her myself, I came up with a plan to get her to kiss me! I noticed she had a bag full of strawberry

HB: I'm allergic to strawberries...I like chocolate bars....Hey guys...nice to see you finally made it! I thought you all got lost or something --- meet my firend Votcho, blah, blah, blah.

etc, ect...

Newbie PUA is now lost.

Pack in your arsenal a short version....so Votcho's short one for a real life field test might go:

PUA: I remember my first kiss in high school...Samantha BRUBAKER (or some stereotypical White person name). I was kind of nervous and she had to kiss me!

If the HB is interested in finding out more --- Votcho has the rest of your story mapped out. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2011, 00:08 
Koi Fish

thats true, and that does happen. I watched Mehows video and he says when that happens(interrupts) just snip it and go with a new thread. Cuz if your the try hard guy trying to go back to it its low value. Its also good if that does happen to cuz now shes the one doing the Wiki technique haha. Also i read in Neil Strauss book, to get someone to listen to your storie you need to have a good hooking opening line that makes people curious enough to hear the whole storie. so ill have to come up with a good one, and also make the stories short and entertaining enough.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2011, 00:11 
Koi Fish

BTW her name actually was Samantha:)

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2011, 15:16 
Alumni

A couple of main tips I noticed from my sources listed below and a few extra ideas:

1. Do NOT improvise. Yes, improv skills help. But storytelling can be so much better if you write it out, rehearse it, then tell the SAME story over and over in the field. Making stuff up on the fly can be a bitch and I personally struggle even though I have 5 years of experience in Improv. It's like texting vs. calling: the former comes with a delete button and gives you editing time. Use the same advantage when creating stories.

2. Base your story around one target emotion you want the woman to feel. "When XYZ occurred, I was feeling ________"

3. Use quotes in your stories to help listeners live the experience "in the now". Make the conversations you had during this story reoccur before your audience.

4. Integrate kino! If you're telling a story about a dance gone wrong, why not use your listener as a dance partner to reenact part of the story? This will be a BT spike, it will trigger emotions, it will make them invest themselves in the story more and you'll create attraction from kino - all at the same time.

5. Make sure there's a beginning, middle and end. And make sure the ending is positive. How many chick flicks have you seen with a terribly painful ending?

6. The videos mention studying the best-selling romance novels or chick flicks. I think this is brilliant. Integrate reality shows too. Learn why they're appealing. Use the structures to mold your stories. If reality shows are just a bunch of intense conversations, then make your story have some intense conversations. If the Twilight characters have a sense of mystery or forbidden love, tell a story with the same basis. If these movies/books/tv shows have millions of followers, then their writers have laid out the foundation work for us. Just take out names and plug in yours.

--------

Here's a terrific article by Derek Vitalio about storytelling: http://www.tsbmag.com/2006/07/03/how-to-develop-storytelling-skills-to-attract-women/

-------

Here are two great videos about storytelling too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IgnpzmF-IY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rqzvUscxAQ&feature=related

THE JESTER'S BLOG

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2011, 15:46 
Alumni

Another thing I want to mention is an old improv game called "Advance & Expand"

When played, one person tells a story. When a listener shouts "Expand", the storyteller must stop advancing in the timeline of the story and just begin talking about that moment in vivid detail.
Example: If some shouts expand when I mention a car my girl and I had sex in, I'd begin describing the color and texture of the interior, clothing she had, the aroma of her perfume, things she'd say, movements or positions, the method of her kiss, the music playing on the car stereo, the view we had, reactions of passersby, etc.

When a listener shouts "Advance", the storyteller starts proceeding closer to the ending of the story.
Example: With the same car-sex example as above, during the Advance stage, I'd begin mentioning where we drove to next, that we cooked food when we got home, took a shower, etc. Lots of basic verbs and action-phrases. Not too much detail.

This is a good example of how stories should be. You must know when to Expand. Moments like the sex part are good expand opportunities because it's the peak of the story and can trigger emotions when you're very specific.

But driving afterward is obviously an Advance moment. I don't need to specify the brand of tires the car had, the mileage on the odometer, the scent of my car freshener, the rip in my car seat, etc. That's boring dumb stuff. Just skip that.

If you have a wing, and you're just kicking it, or have some time to burn while driving to a venue, try playing "Advance & Expand" then critique each others stories.

SOURCE: Improv class

----------------------

The article below is also great. It mentioned a great exercise. Try reciting something mundane, like your shopping list. But do so in an enthusiastic way. If you can make your groceries sound interesting, then your expressions, tonality and choice of words have reached a very good level. If you can make me want to hear you talk about a boring subject as you in the cereal aisle, then you'll definitely be able to intrigue a girl. So try talking about boring stuff on purpose and challenge yourself to make it sound fun.

SOURCE: http://www.seductionbase.com/seduction/cat/In_the_Middle/storytell/393.html

THE JESTER'S BLOG

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 17:00 
Alumni

TAKE A POLL!

A lot of times, you just won't know whether certain topics are worthy of discussion unless you ask women. That's why I take those topics, reshape them into opinion openers, and ask for feedback.

For example, I have a friend who uses drugs (Extacy, LSD, etc) and stubbornly refuses to accept that ATTRACTIVE women aren't interested in such DLV. I try to give my advice and help, but some people just aren't ready to help themselves.

To test this, I've gone around and, as an opener, asked sets whether they feel using such a habit as bribery to attract women is right or wrong. Or I ask for their take on recreational drugs. And in this particular example, the girls were also qualifying or disqualifying themselves since I steer clear of women with addiction problems.

Now I could reshape this into a story with a relationship conflict and

You can take a poll on any topic you want to test if you shape it into a story too.

The number of women who latch onto the topic and give feedback that evolves into a conversation will tell you whether a story will grab their attention.

Just remember, when you turn it into a story, make sure there's a beginning, middle and end. Throw in some light humor to keep their energy positive. And make sure the story is structured to where the opinion you're asking for doesn't have a stupidly obvious answer (Ex: I was wondering if you ladies feel shooting puppies is bad or not?)

THE JESTER'S BLOG

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 04:17 
Alumni

Bootcamp Graduate: BCSydneyNov2011
OMG, I just found a set of hilarious stories from one of our classmates when we were discussing dress codes for some of the med applicants hoping to get into our school. Here's what happened:

So a friend of my classmates from med school got an interview offer from the medical school (true story). On the day of the interview, she went to the university dressed in thongs (yes, thongs). And when she walked into the room, she found that all the interviewers consisted of an all-female panel.

The weird part was she got her offer a week later. Another student did his interview wearing nothing from the waist down (He was in a rush, as he just got out of bed and found that he was late for the interview, and came only in his underwear) and provided for an awkward moment. He also got in.

The best part is that these are TRUE stories. LMAO. I'm so including this in our pre-bootcamp assignment. But do you think these stories will put girls off?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next